Let's Go To The Movies....



One of the hardest things about being a Makeup Artist is watching movies and television and not being able to NOT notice terrible makeup. I complain about it so much that even my husband notices these things now. (Sorry babe.) I mean, glossy lips in the middle ages? The lace on that lace front wig is showing, what am I supposed to do!?

 But aside from bad makeup, GREAT makeup makes my heart beat faster and makes my palms all sweaty, and yes, I'm in love. Ever since I can remember, I have loved movies. Going to the movies and getting lost in the dark, while sucking the sugary goodness out of a Junior Mint, is my happy place.

 I wanted to salute some of my all-time most favorite stylish movie makeups. Tell me yours! I'm always on the hunt for some great inspiration. Let's dim the lights, grab your popcorn...

                        Tilda Swinton- The Grand Budapest Hotel, Director Wes Anderson 

This. Is. Everything. I mean, this is one of the all time best aging makeups. Not only did they execute this with such incredible attention to detail as far as the actual aging, but the styling is so incredible. Her eyebrow shape, lip color and lip shape, and the hair is spot on. She really embodies this woman, 40 years her senior.


If you're not sure who Tilda Swinton is, this is her other worldly gorgeous self at her real age. 




Julianne Moore- A Single Man, Director Tom Ford 

 As one would fully expect from Tom Ford, this film is all style, all the time. It's truly a vision of impeccable taste the whole way through, and Julianne's character is no exception. Not only is she oh so fabulous in the movie, but there is a scene, (my favorite naturally) where she is on the phone while applying her makeup at her vanity. This scene really gives insight to how incredibly detailed this type of makeup from the 1960's was, and it took a good amount of time to pull it off. Luckily her character had plenty of time on her hands. Heaven.




Watch this little compilation for all her fabulousness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCpY_qFQVYs


Diana Ross- Mahogany, Director Berry Gordy

Mahogany! While this is a movie mostly just fluff, just LOOK at Miss Ross in all her 1975 glory. There are so many jaw dropping gorgeous looks that it was hard to pick just three photos. The 70's are definitely back in style, Nicole Richie had a disco themed birthday party, and Beyonce had her own Soul Train birthday party last year. But here is the original, baby, all mahogany, metallic and glow. 







Salma Hayek- Frida, Director Julie Taymor 

Regardless on feelings toward a uni-brow, there's no denying that Salma is so glowy and oozes sexy in this film. Her skin is giving YouTuber's a run for their highlighter money, and she actually does pull off the more than usual facial hair. With her natural eye makeup and punch-of-color red lip, this is a beauty look to remember.




Audrey Hepburn- Breakfast at Tiffany's,  Director Blake Edwards

"Hand me my purse darling. A girl can't read this sort of thing without her lipstick." - 
Holly Golightly

Audrey has quite a few looks in this movie. She's hitting all the marks with her "gull wing" brow (although softer than in the past),  full, soft lashes and perfectly applied coraly pink lips and cheeks. I also LOVE her tiny baby bangs and highlights. She's quite possibly the most iconic beauty of all time??






Nicole Kidman- Moulin Rouge!, Director Baz Luhrman 

I was so obsessed with this film when it came out in 2001. I was Nicole's character, Satine, for Halloween that year. I think I even had an image of her from the film as my desktop screensaver. Yeah, like really into it. This movie is such a delight of glitter and flash, all sparkly and luxe. She had many makeup looks, but my favorite was from the classic Diamonds Are A Girl's Bestfriend number.  Pale powdery skin, red matte lips and a beautiful elongated eyebrow. 




                                 

                                Natalie Portman- Black Swan, Director Darren Aronofsky

          I've always been so intrigued by ballet makeup, it's stagey, yet sophisticated and fashiony. I read once that they also do it themselves, which is so impressive to me.  Natalie's White Swan makeup is a lovely compliment to her costume, very pretty and light, with a touch of drama on her graphic lined eyes. The Black Swan makeup, (seen here in the portrait) is simply arresting. Those seriously intense eyes paired with pale skin, custom contact lenses and bold oxblood lips are stunning and definitely convey the ominous feel of the film.



                           

                          Brigitte Bardot- Contempt (Le Mepris) Director Jean-Luc Godard 

My style icon, now and forever. There is a reason that she is one of the most referenced women in the world of beauty. Bardot is timeless and in this 1963 gem, she is at peak "Bardot" as we remember her. She really had her cat eye game on point, her St. Tropez sunkissed skin is radiant, and her lips in a beautiful matte nude. 1963 or 2017? Her makeup and styling is as gorgeous and relevant as ever.





Sigh, I have to cut this off somewhere but I am planning on a post all about gorgeous makeup from period films soon. Tell me your favorites!

Comments

Popular Posts